Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Self 2009 Challenge - Don't bother!

Fit Sugar just promoted the Self Magazine 2009 challenge. I discovered this in leafing through the recent Self at the gym last week and because it promised all kinds of incredible free online tools for keeping track of my progress, I went to the Self website and I checked it out.
I'm totally disappointed. The tools allow you to log your calories burned in exercise and your calories consumed through diet. Sounds helpful enough, but it is actually pretty rudimentary. I was frustrated that the only strenght training it allows me to log calories burned for is their own published routine - and I am not really interested in following that. Also, the cardio has to fit into their pre-established schemas too, as well as the diet.
Pretty much, if you decide to follow the diet and exercise plan they published then the website allows you to track your progress online. Any deviation leads to complication.
This may be good if you are just starting out, but definitely not for someone with experience.
On top of everything, I am annoyed that I had to create an account to investigate the 2009 Challenge and the website does not make it easy at all for me to delete said account now that I've discovered that the tools suck. Grr.

3 comments:

  1. Healthworks has a great system called 24/7 that has tons of info and great cardio and food log ... I don't know if there is a way to access it for nonmembers or not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely investigate that. Also I am finding this website really helpful, esp. when it comes to all the different calculators: http://www.freedieting.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you ever use the "daily plate"? I have used it from time to time for different reasons...but not consistently for exercise, but it seems to be relatively easy to use. I don't know if it's exactly what you're looking for but it might be helpful to check out sometime.

    ReplyDelete