Saturday, February 21, 2009

Creative Eating

Continuing to explore how to maintain my health and fitness habits while away from home:
What my fiance considers basic for his kitchen/household is just that: pretty basic, at least compared to my house. Lots of snack foods, canned foods, frozen foods, etc. here.
I've been eating plain oatmeal for breakfast for a couple of days, looking for different ways to spice it up - I even tried adding a scoop of his chocolate whey protein shake powder to it, which was a bad idea, because the oatmeal was hot and the stuff curdled. Bad texture.
On the other hand I've taken to adding a bag of "steamfresh" frozen vegetables to a can of prepared soup, to amp up the health value and overall quality, in my opinion. Yesterday it was beef barley with a bag of frozen broccoli, red peppers, onions, mushrooms and edamame. Two thumbs up.

4 comments:

  1. Yep - it always helps to bring your own food so at least you have something to fall back on! Good idea with the soup/frozen veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! Plus I can share my healthier ways of eating with him too so we both benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your yogurt idea- maybe in an earlier entry. I actually do something similar as well all the time! I add a little bit of cinnamon, frozen blueberries and a few scoops of TJ's blueberry preserves to a large container of plain yogurt, mix well and freeze it. Really good homemade fro-yo that I don't feel guilt about snacking on late at night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just ate the thawed version of this last night! I haven't thought of freezing it - I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete