Sunday, February 22, 2009

My go-to snacks

I started on a low carb, six small meal a day diet a year ago (which I've since modified..my body needs carbs) that alloted for several snacks. I followed the recommended 1/4 cup nuts and piece of fruit for a while, but eventually I branched out to other things, allowing for the emergence of my new and favorite snack: dairy. Sounds like a bad word for healthy eating, I know, but trust me. My dairy obsession takes on two forms: plain 0% fat greek style joghurt (6 oz= 100 cal, 0 fat, 0 chol. 18 gr. protein) and non-fat farmers cheese. (stats forthcoming) I doctor up both, adding frozen blueberries, or reduced sugar preserves from Trader Joes (35 cal/tbs). My best method is to mix up a containter of farmer's cheese with some raisins, craisins, crystallized ginger bits, and lemon zest, and let it sit overnight. Time allows for the dried fruit to soften and sweeten the cheese so no sugar is needed. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment