Saturday, February 28, 2009

Farmer's Cheese

I want to tell you more about this amazing food. (25 cal, 3g protein, 1g fat per serving) It's like cottage cheese but with smaller curds and a less watery consistency. If you are a European, especially from the eastern half of the continent, you know all about this, and you probably use it all the time in spreads, snacks, dips, and both as sweet and savory fillings for pastries, or even over pasta.
I love this stuff but I have to go to the special Euro ethic grocery stores to find it. This is the brand I usually find; it varies in price, depending on the store it runs from $3-$5 dollars per container.
Recently I felt empowered to try to make it at home. Partially this is because the ethic store is out of the way and I am tired of making extra trips. One night I saw Alton Brown make it on Good Eats (love him, love the show!) but when I attempted to make it, I didn't exactly follow it: I used lemon juice instead of vinegar and I skipped the half and half and mixed in some non-fat greek-style joghurt. Here is what I did:
mix - 4 cups of skim milk
1tsp salt
bring to a boil - make sure it's hot enough, steaming with bubbles, but don't scorch the milk
stir in the juice of one lemon
let sit 10-30 min
strain through a colander and cheese cloth, squeeze out the liquid (whey)
mix the curds with some joghurt for a creamier consistency

No comments:

Post a Comment